Ah, the beloved Calamansi: a tiny fruit that has been ubiquitous throughout my childhood. A spritz of it’s juices adds a flair to a number of Filipino dishes. Who knew that something that compliments savory foods can make a simple yet delicious dessert. On the island of Boracay, there is a lovely little spot called Real Coffee & Tea Cafe that is famous for it’s version of this lovely treat. It was this place that inspired me to give this recipe a try.
There are many different ways to make a Calamansi Muffin. This is the version I’ve managed to recreate with much success! Just follow these simple steps and you too can enjoy a zesty bite of these golden brown delights from the white sand paradise of Boracay.
1 Dozen Muffins
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Calamansi Juice
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix together Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt in a bowl and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix together Milk and Calamansi juice
- Mix together Butter and Sugar and stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes and add to Milk and Calamansi juice mixture
- Add eggs one at a time to the mixture and combine it with the Flour mixture. Mix well.
- Scoop mixture into non-stick muffin pans
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins have risen and have a golden brown color.